Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Magic Wand...If only..


If I had a magic wand and could change one thing that would make a huge difference at my institution, it would have to be the budget.  We need a fully functioning Financial Aid staff, Registrar’s office and Admission’s office. We are so understaffed that everyone is working long hours and burning out soon after the semester starts. I believe if I could “poof” that into being, everything would run so much smoother for our students as well as those who work so hard every day to help them be successful.  
As budgets for education are slashed across the nation I’m sure that everyone is feeling the effects, we can only hope that this changes for the better soon.   

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Cuts in educational spending have a devastating effect on an entire community. Preparing more students for the workforce improves the economy. I fully believe that community colleges need a fully staffed financial aid office with personnel who can handle the paperwork required in making sense of all the loan, grant, and scholarship applications. Your reward comes in knowing you are helping people escape poverty, drug use, abuse, etc. People who can support themselves and their families are happier, healthier, and more apt to help others caught in similar situations. You are turning lives around, Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is everywhere. Where I currently work, we are so understaffed that we have counselors doing lunch and bathroom duties, scheduling, attendance, testing, etc. All of which takes time away from the students, which are the whole reason that we are supposed to be there in the first place.

    ReplyDelete