Sunday, September 9, 2012

Reflection Week 3

This week was, like the last four, frustrating, rewarding, exhausting, and exhilarating. I have counseled nearly 100 students (82) are in my caseload as my Beacon students and the others were overflow from the one other counselor that is not a Beacon counselor. The Beacon project is a new project that is funded by a grant to investigate the variables that can make a first time college student be successful in completing a two year degree. The Beacon project is an experimental program to improve retention and see students from start to finish at a two year institution. My school was one of five community and technical colleges in the country to be awarded this grant.  The students who meet the criteria to be a Beacon student have three support members assigned to them. One is a peer coach, a recent graduate of a two year degree program and hired full time by the college. One Faculty Advisor the same instructor that teaches the college 101 class they are placed in and thirdly a Success Counselor (me). There are nearly 400 students that have entered the program this semester and there are six Beacon counselors. Two who are also highly trained in working with students with disabilities ( I feel very lucky to be working so closely with the two of them) and the other four having masters degrees in counseling with some experience to very little and then there is me, with my last class before graduating with a masters degree in counseling and twelve years experience in higher education and five years experience in counseling/advising students who were first time college students and developmental. I am used to having a much smaller case load and a much older established college system. My School has just in the last two years separated from a large university in Huntington West Virginia. The staff is short and the growing pains are insurmountable but we are working through the frustration and trying to figure out what changes need to be made. This week alone I had 9 of my students have their schedules dropped and I had to fight tooth and toenail to keep them from falling through the cracks and letting the system win.

3 comments:

  1. As I read your post my heart rate was increasing because like a good book, I was excited to see what the outcome was going to be! It is exciting to hear about your advocacy for others and admirable that you so compassionately speak out for others. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right where you need to be, Eric. Imagine how the lives of these struggling students would turn out if you were not there to stand up for them. We all can relate to the hassle of registering and paying for classes. Without you, these students would have no one to guide them through the rough spots and they would most likely drop out. When your caseload increases, just remember that what you are doing is making a postive impact not only on those students, but also on their families.

    ReplyDelete